Saturday, March 6, 2021

Grenadier Forest Giant

Well, that was a helluva posting gap!  So much going on the last few months that hobby time sort of flew out the window for most of it.  Lots of changes going on in Mouse's life.  Fortunately they are mostly changes for the better and I should have plenty of time coming up for painting and posting.  Meanwhile, meet Mr. Forest giant.
Mr. Forest Giant is an alumni of Grenadier's marvelous Giant's Club line and was a product of the rich imagination of the great Andrew Chernak, one of my favorite-est fantasy sculptors.
This figure came loose in a big lot of stuff I bought a few years back.  He is supposed to be out hunting a nice lunch of wild boars, but I never had his box or the boars he originally came with.  Those would have been nice to have but no matter, really.  He's a great burly fellow and I like him.





Painting him was something of a joy after spending so much time squinting desperately at the tiny 'true 25mm' D&D stuff I've been working on lately.  It was so easy to see everything!  I can see myself working on a lot more larger monster figures in the near future.

I have a number of the other giants in the series.  I intended to use the Dwarven Giant and the Chaos giant as heavy hitters in my Warhammer Dwarf and Orc armies respectively, but they haven't yet made it onto the painting table.  I also have the Hill giants and the Fire Giant, who I'd like to get painted soon.  And there is also the splendid Frost Giant set which is so beautiful I don't dare to try and paint it for fear of screwing it up.   It's still sitting almost untouched in it's box.

Two wandering adventurers run afoul of Mr. Giant...rough break!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely work on the giant! Its a really characterful and dynamic pose to boot!

    Its good to see you back and I look forward to reading more posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Spacecow! It was quite the hiatus, but I've had a productive last few weeks so there's a lot more stuff coming off the painting table...

      Delete
  2. Welcome back Mouse - hope all is well with you!

    Great work on the Forest Giant - lovely leather tones and the basing is very effective. I've treated myself to a few Grenadier pieces lately but I obviously need to check out the Giants further. Can't wait to see your take on the Chaos Giant in particular. I'm sure you'd do the Frost Giant justice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thantsants! Grenadier was a pretty amazing company. Until Otherworld came out, the old yellow blister packs from I think 1981, sculpted by Chernak, were my hands down favorite official D&D miniatures. I have a collection of their 80's Undead Legion skeletons that I've been needing to paint for years. I've always thought Grenadier's skeletons were far superior to what Citadel was doing with undead stuff at the time...

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! I suppose a spear is a great weapon for a giant as everything will be so small you'd have to be hunched over causing all sorts of back problems. How can you tell I've recently had another birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, DAve and its good to be back! One of the little details I like about this figure is that his spearhead is actually some long lost adventurer's sword tied onto the shaft rather than a proper spear blade. Forest Giant must have a hard time finding weapons in his size, I guess. I have a nice collection of back problems too, mostly keepsakes from the wars. I do lots and lots of pushups and I find that that helps a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool detail. Of course you wouldn't find standard issue giant weapons. Necessity is the mother of invention....

      Delete
  5. You have realy worked wonders with that giant - great job! I also really like your basing technique - very effective. Now to read the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete