Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Fall of Mouse






So, some feral horses in the area had been playing Vikings, knocking down our fences, helping themselves to our pasture, picking fights with our own horses and generally making a nuisance of themselves.  At some point we made the decision to run them back out the hole they had made and fix the fence behind them.  Somewhere between the planning and execution stages, my horse was startled and panicked by something absurdly insignificant and began to try to rid himself of me.  I lost my reins but still managed to keep my seat.  Noticing that my ungallant steed was carrying me toward a large pile of ancient, abandoned and rather sharp and menacing-looking machinery, however, I took the decision to bail out of my saddle before disaster struck.

Disaster struck anyway.  I landed badly, threw my left shoulder out, and completely shattered my right wrist.  Yeah, the one I paint with.  Awesome.   

Had a large chunk of metal installed in my forearm today, and they gave me some rather speedy and intense pain medication so I'm on the mend, but got no idea when I'll be able to work or paint again, and the Army National Guard Officer Candidate School, which I was hoping to attend next Summer, is almost certainly never going to happen now.  Sigh.  Oh, well.  I like being an NCO anyway.

In spite of the injury, I imagine I'll still be posting some, since I've got nothing but idle time in which to sit around and concoct army lists, dream up games I'd like to play someday, and work on comic book stories, though having to type with my left hand is a pain.  Hopefully I'll make better use of this time than just sitting around spending money in the Miniatures and Wargames section of ebay...


11 comments:

  1. My condolences, a bit of bad luck there. I'm only just now getting over my own foul twist of fate (nothing so severe as the cyborg upgrade you've undergone). All the best towards your recovery, there have been a small number of projects I was able to complete during my own state of duress, if you run short on ideas don't hesitate to hit me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of your awful misfortune.I've just returned to work after being off for ten weeks.The hobby was a really useful distraction and I got some projects begun/continued.Hopefully you will do the same- a few small games for example,a mini campaign maybe?
    Best Wishes
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just back at work after ten weeks.I found the hobby really helped.I hope you get some plans made and maybe even a small solo campaign fought.Best wishes for your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I broke both my feet two years ago; initially this was painful; but then gabe me the perfect opportunity to paint an entire flesh tearers force in one swoop!! Thank heaven for codeine!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your accident and subsequent setbacks, hope you're on the mend soon and that you absorb yourself in some gaming in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Horse 1, Mouse: 0.

    Of course, there is always a silver lining. This is your perfect opportunity to enrich the oldhammer world by producing your very own solo-play battle report, badly typed up by your left hand!

    Looking forward to reading it :D

    Regards
    Gaj

    P.S. In all seriousness - get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, hey Mouse,

    Sorry to hear about your fall. I wish you a speedy heal-up. And I second what Gaj wrote - I hope you enjoy some quality daydream time and I am excited to see what it will produce! Perhaps even some more Thunder Mount adventures/sagas! Also, I love the Mouse pic that starts this post!

    All the best,

    Private W.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bad luck, and a pretty dramatic way to injure yourself into the bargain too. Lets hope you heal up quickly,
    all the best
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to here that mouse.
    I also learned something about the State of Jefferson, after checking to see your location for feral horses.
    Very interesting stuff.
    Mend well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to everybody for the get well wishes. Going to try to get out of my funk and post something soon...

    ReplyDelete