Monday, September 7, 2020

M is for Mummy!

                                     
Mummies!  Some deep-dwelling dungeon denizens to strike terror into the hearts of some of my D&D adventures.

Groping along the inky passages of his antediluvian tomb for all eternity, this snuffling, shuffling fellow should put the fear of the Gods into the first set of dungeon raiders to cross his path...
An old Ral Partha figure, I think...He's very simple but I like him.

This character looks terrifying, but I don't know how dangerous he is, what with his arms all strait-jacketed.  Might give somebody a heart attack, though.
He's a Grenadier figure and I really like his menacing expression and the detail on his wrappings.  Not just a bag of rags...some thought clearly went into the cross-over method of wrapping him up.  He's a bit bigger than my Ral Partha adventurers and the other mummies here, a smidge closer to 28mm than 25mm, but who knows?  Maybe he's a relic of some lost race from days when men were taller.  He'll fit in well with my Call of Cthulhu guys at any rate.
Last but not least, some Queen of the lightless depths, reminiscent of Robert Howard's unforgettable Akivasha...Who was she?  What are her powers?

Does she at whiles disguise her withered limbs in illusions of nubile flesh with which to entice unwary men into everlasting imprisonment within her nighted sepulcher?  I'll bet she does... 
The classic Monster Manual illustration.  Every time I see a Trampier illustration I wish he had done more stuff.  It would be nice to see a printed collection of his D&D work...
Tomb raiders beware!



H.P. Lovecraft: The Outsider

3 comments:

  1. They will be very useful in the catacombs. The chap in the straight jacket has a very scary stare.

    Did you mean to double post the main pics or is that the new blogger doing it for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if we are seeing the same thing? Blogger is buggy and quirky sometimes. I posted two slightly different views of each figure as well as two of the group, one at the top and one at the close of the post. Are you seeing more than that?

      Delete
  2. On the tablet they looked the same but I'm on the laptop and can see that there is a small difference between the 2 that looked the same before. Panic over, resume normal state of calm. :)

    ReplyDelete