Saturday, October 11, 2014

Womp Rats!



Deep in the Jundland wastes, old Ben Kenobi runs afoul of a pack of young Womp Rats, voracious, loathsome haunters of Tattooine's dunes and canyons!  I'm sure Ben has the situation well in hand, however.  Actually, Ben's not in the Jundland waste, he's in Afghanistan, but who the hell can tell the difference, really?



The minis are, of course, simple Citadel Giant Rats from a post-Oldhammer edition of WFB.  They came in a lot with a bunch of 3rd Edition Giant Rats but they just didn't fit in with the others.  Wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, until I remembered that the Star Wars universe has big rats, too...



Apparently there's a good deal of learned debate as to what Womp Rats look like, exactly.  Most scholars hold the position that the creatures have four ears.  This illustration is from a book on the wildlife of the Star Wars galaxy I bought a few months age.  This Womp, being of a two-eared variety, looks closest to the miniatures I have to work with, So I chose him as a model for my own rats.


I think the minis look ok...

Womp Rats are supposed to be about two meters long, as I remember.  These are a bit smaller than that, unless you're counting nose to tail.

 
  Maybe they're young Womp Rats who've just been out of the nest a season or two....


Anyway, they'll be lurking around the edges of my Tattooine games, ready to drag down the odd Sandtrooper now and again...or to menace some Princess who's lost her way in the desert...

4 comments:

  1. Excellent posting. Really enjoyed it and haven't seen those 'Oldhammer' models for ages but they could have been made for Star Wars. Certainly I won't be able to think of them as anything else now :-) Not sure how I've missed your blog before but I'll be following from now on and clearly have a bit of a backlog to get through. Take care and keep safe.
    Blaxkleric
    http://fantorical.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Blaxkleric! Welcome and happy perusing!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely prices, a wonderful post Sir.

    ReplyDelete