Thursday, July 16, 2020

Old School Ral Partha D&D Dungeon Party #1

 Swords Against Darkness! Having just met at the local tavern, a party of adventurers decide to set out for The Caverns of Chaos or The Caves of the Unknown or The Palace of the Silver Princess or The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth...
...or wherever.  Let's wish them luck.  I've been wanting to build parties of adventurers for skirmishy, dungeon crawl games for a long time.  Years back, I tried to get started with Grenadier minis from the same period but it didn't really work out, so I've shifted to some of the very first minis I was ever exposed to as a youngster, the early Ral Partha figures of Tom Meier, Julie Guthrie and Dennis Mize.
These minis were more challenging for me than normal 'cause they're so darn small.  This guy was going ok until I started on the shield.  The shield was an experiment, an attempt to do some freehand stuff, which I never do 'cause I suck at it, also an attempt to do an old school looking Warhammery shield, but it doesn't suit the figure, really.  Maybe its a shield he took off a dead Orc.
Dwarf and Cleric...
Thief and a Fighter-Magic User.  I like how the thief came out, but I kept screwing up the F/MU's eyes and tried over and over to re-do them 'til the paint caked up and now he looks like a mutant.
I am a bit pleased with how the Sorceress came out...
Nice figure...
A nice detail is the face carved on her staff. 
A brought a bunch more of these with me and should have three or four more parties finished by the time I get home.  I brought a few monsters for them to fight too.
'Huzzah!  We're off!'

You meet in a tavern...

10 comments:

  1. Yes, the sorceress does look sharp....pink trim on red is a good combo. Do you have any idea which rules you'll be using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! Oh, probably the old D&D basic set rules from the ancient days. Armor Class and Thaco and all that. I was bummed about missing Enfilade to go to the Balkans this year, but it ended up getting cancelled anyway. How are things with you these days?

      Delete
    2. Balkans sounds like an alright trip though, no? Things are busy here, going to have a baby before August 1st. So lots of the 'hobby' work has been 1:1 scale room painting, yard work to finish before productivity goes to 0, and shuffling rooms and what used to be office space.

      Delete
    3. Congratulations!! Great to hear you've got another little person on the way! Balkans aren't bad but what with Covid it hasn't been what you'd call fun either. Trying to make the most of it. Did a ruck march through the countryside with the Danish army today. Feet hurt but it was fun. Trying to get as much painting done as possible, too.

      Delete
  2. Julie Guthrie is on of my favourite sculpturers, so thanks for giving her a nod and I had a good laugh at your linked video.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you liked the All For One video. Those kids are pretty talented.

      Delete
  3. Oh and I agree the shild doesn't fit the figure, but in it's own right it is a lovely piece, not sure where that leave you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks. I had originally intended it to be a sort of benevolent looking sun face on a blue field but somehow went way off the rails. It had gotten to be too early in the morning by then, I guess.

      Delete