Monday, March 31, 2014

Stuff to Listen to While Painting: Star Wars Radio Drama Episode 1: A Wind To Shake The Stars



 I somehow managed to accidentally post an outline of an article I'm dreaming up, and for a while you were all seeing some meaningless scribbles under Tales From the Big Board in your blog lists.  To cover
up my goof, I've got to post something, so I'm sharing this. 


 It's the first episode of the Star Wars Radio Drama released by PBS a long time ago.  The Material is all story from Lucas' Star Wars novel, and embraces some scenes which were shot, but which were, sadly, deleted from the final cut of the film.

The whole radio play is over 6.5 hours long, and includes hours of newly written material, all of it approved by George Lucas, in addition to dramatizations of scenes which never made it into the theater.  Mark Hamill plays Luke, which is nice, but you get stand in voice actors for most of the other parts.  Too bad, but oh, well.  A detailed break-down of the radio play is available at the amazing Star Wars Wiki if you're interested in pursuing it further.

Great stuff to listen to while painting minis, hopefully, it'll get me inspired to get to work painting my stack of classic West End miniatures.  If you've never heard it, enjoy.


6 comments:

  1. Interesting, I didn't know about this. Similar themes as American Graffiti, not surprising I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I was thinking about that, too. Teenagers in Space instead of in old-time California. You wonder what was going on there...Was Lucas attempting to anchor his space epic in more familiar and human situations? Sort of like Lord of the Rings? Sad we'll never see these scenes as part of the movie.

      Delete
  2. I'll certainly give this a listen, my eldest boy is getting into star wars in a big way, so much so that I've started buying the WOTC pre-paints up for games together. I haven't been this in to Star Wars in almost 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good scoop, Mouse! I never knew of this, but am a sucker for all things Star Wars. Thanks for sharing this.

    Erny, I did the same thing for my boy. Those Rubber figs were/are a big hit and have given us many, many hours of fun. We started off with simple D20 rules a la Calvinball and now use a mash of 40k and Warzone in our games. Star Wars is the great "bringer together"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gone a little over the top tho be honest both in buying figures and rules (decided on Blasters and Bulkheads) but have lately had to remind myself, its for the boy not me!

      More to the point I've found the full series here:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC-v9EdPYCE

      Happy days at work!

      Delete
    2. Glad you guys are enjoying this. I just discovered it, and didn't know if everybody else knew about it or not.

      Delete