Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Warhammer Ancients Chariot Wars: Egyptian Royal Guard Regiment


The last three years or so have been a time of mighty upheaval and convulsion for me, not that I'm complaining or anything.  Things are what they are.  At times there has no breath of leisure in which I could pursue my old painting and gaming hobby.  In other moments the time was there, but the inclination was not.  After a time I just about gave up on my blog, but now that the raging floodwaters have abated and retreated into little calm pools, I've started thinking about it again.  One thing I now know I will never lose is a love of miniature warriors, monsters and tanks, the menagerie of tiny companions my wife refers to as the 'Little Men'.  Even the Big Board, that simple assembly of heavy ply wood sheets and felt, supported by thick legs of green plastic milk crates, is a good friend, a partner in joyfully irresponsible frivolity for nearly thirty years.  The blog has documented the growth of my collection, and a few of the great adventures, (though not nearly enough), that have taken place on the Big Board.  It has also provided motivation  to keep painting, and a link to friends with similar interests around the world, whose beautiful and imaginitive works provide so much inspiration.  I've put ten years into it, and I feel like I should keep it going.  

Here is something that I did manage to paint during the deluge.
I took this regiment of Egyptian Royal Guardsmen with me to Kosovo and started them there, but only finished them a few months ago.  Each trooper is armored and armed to the teeth with spear, shield and axe, and they have a nice, tough, determined look about them.  They are all Ral Parthas from their 1990s Ancients Range.  I wish the range had had a more extensive selection of command figures, but I really like the sculpts.  they paint up well and they are a nice size.
When I started this blog virtually everything I posted on it was Oldhammer Fantasy or 40k.  Since then I've lost none of my love for fantastical themes, but it's hard not to notice that the majority of my collecting and painting efforts have drifted toward the historical.  The lead mountain now includes great peaks and spurs of Biblical, Colonial, Renaissance Old West, Pulp and second World War Figures and they all seem to be looking at me expectantly, waiting for me to bring them to life with a little sand and pigment.  Some hard choices may lie ahead, since it occurred to me a few years ago that at my age, it is most likely not possible for me to finish painting all the figures I own within the span of years left to me.  Yes, I've done the math.  I have that many.
These are the first pictures of minis I've taken in the club house in my new home in Washington State.  Took these with my phone.  Haven't quite figured out the lighting yet.
So I add these to my Libyan skirmishers and Egyptian Marines.  Next I need to add a Pharoah and some chariots.  The chariot models in this range and very beautiful, so I'm looking forward to getting to work on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment