Friday, October 26, 2018

Knights of The Mittelmark Pt 3: More Bretonnians/Imperials

Two more knights of the Baron Von Refn's army, mustering their troops for battle.  These are part of a push I'm making to try to get my Warhammer Bretonnian/Empire army battle worthy before the end of the year.  Most of the figures are Old Glory Medievals.  The musician is an old Grenadier LOTR Boromir mini.
Captain and banner bearer are Mark Copplestone Fantasy Warriors.
This is one of 2 great weapon units I'd like the finished army to include.
One of the Old Glory figures here...
There are also quite a few Wargames Foundry figures in the unit.

Chop chop!
Wargames Foundry Knights....
I'm terrible at painting the designs on the shields and caparisons but I felt I had to try to get away from using decals all the time.  From a distance they I hope they don't look too bad.
Since the infantry are meant to represent the retainers and henchmen of these particular knights, I painted their clothes to reflect the colors of the knights' heraldry.  My plan for the near future is to have one troop of nice with caparisons and one without, perhaps to represent lower ranking knights.
Using the same colors on both the knights made it easy to create a unifying color scheme for the infantry regiment.  A Wargames Foundry axeman and...

...A nice old Josef Ochmann figure and maybe my favorite of the whole bunch. 
Ready for fightin'!  I now have 2 1/2 infantry regiments, 30 crossbowmen, 6 knights and a whole ton of peasant auxiliaries.  In the end that does't add up to much on the table top.  Long way to go, yet.

9 comments:

  1. Great army! I like the contrast between the bright colours of the knights and those brown palette of the lesser soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting these guys ready to take the field. Looking good and a nice scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The have turned out well, there's some nice figures in the unit. I really like Copplestone's work and the guy with the two handed sword is no exception.
    Very steady hand on the two mounted Knights, nice clean and straight edges, and I think trying to tie the unit colours to their commander is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Vagabond! I was dreading trying to do the caparisons because I'm useless at painting anything freehand. It was a bit of a struggle, but it seems to have paid off. I really like Copplestone too. His Pulp stuff is very alluring. May have to buy some of Back of Beyond stuff to go with my horrors of the great white north pulpy project.

      Delete
  4. That's a whole lot of neato. I think painting the banners instead of using decals was the way to go for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, buddy! Yeah, the painted caparisons are much more striking, especially from a distance, than the guys I used the decals on. Hey, I will be up there in a couple of weeks. Maybe we can get in a game on Sunday night. Dragon Rampant or something.

      Delete
    2. Hell yeah, that'd be fun. Bring em up.

      Delete