Sunday, September 13, 2020

Pulp: The Rat River Boys

The story of Albert Johnson is one of the strangest and most fascinating episodes of Canadian history and was undoubtedly the inspiration for this pack of grizzled maniacs from Bob Murch's Pulp line, "The Mad Trappers of Rat River".  My Lieutenant told me the story of Albert Johnson the last time I was in Afghanistan and I sought out Dick North's book on the subject, read it and liked it so much that I bought a copy for my Dad as well.  He also loved it.  We all agreed the only thing we didn't like about the story is that the hero dies at the end.  Johnson was almost certainly crazy but by the end of the story you have to feel some real admiration for anybody who can survive for so long against such terrible odds.

These Mountain men types are destined for a role in my 'Canadian Cthulhu' skirmish/RP campaigns, which I intend to start running with friends soon after I get home.  They will be  putting their Winchesters and bear traps up against everything from Canadian Mounties to Sasquatches and Mi-Go
I think there was some sort of a problem with the casting of the face details on this fellow, none of it makes sense.  I had to just power through it in the end, so he doesn't look so hot.  I think the others look ok, though.
                              "Stay away from mah trap lines, eh?  Er I'll kill ya pretty good, there!"
"Ye won't be takin' me alive, Mi-Go!  Won't be takin' me brain back to the nighted gulfs beyond space in a damn jar!"
Watch where you put your feet, Mounties! (and Mi-go!)
                         Pretty happy at the thought of getting these guys back home and onto the table!

6 comments:

  1. Pretty wild story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be able to introduce you to it, Dave!

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of Murchs figure range, they all have character even if some are odd poses but you've done a good job with all of these. So you'll be making a snow board to play your games on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much, Vagabond! Yes I will be looking at putting together a wintry table. I don't have much for it right now other than lots of snowy Christmas scene pine trees but I've always got my eye out for stuff...

    ReplyDelete